Friday, August 31, 2007

Ordinary Me : A

There are several blogs around based on Amy Rosenthal's Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. Her book begins: "I have not survived against all odds. I have not lived to tell. I have not witnessed the extraordinary."
This is my pathetic story of me and is just a list of ordinary items that make up my very ordinary life.

Ordinary Me: A
A: Apraxia:
Inability to execute a skilled or learned motor act, not related to paralysis or lack of comprehension, caused by a cortical lesion.

It seems as though much of my professional life as a speech language pathologist revolves around this very difficult to mangage disorder. I have become profiencent in my work with children with this disorder and people do seem to call on me to help them. I really do love these kids, as they are quite fascinating. I know that one of my strengths as a person has always been to find a way to do things, whatever it is. I guess that makes me a fairly decent clinician then, as I usually search for an answer to make it work. Apraxia is a confusing disorder, which can be a diagnosis that doesn't always have a great outcome. Somehow, I have always made it work for me.

No comments: