Sunday, August 19, 2007

back to the grind.....

As I sit here thinking about going back to work tomorrow, I do get depressed. I think that the system I work in is changing rapidly, and not for the best. I work daily to try to improve working conditions for slps, but no one beyond us seems to care. We are in the midst of a nationwide shortage, which my system has ignored so far. We have lots of openings (anyone want a job??) but no one who can do something about it cares enough to get off their duff to even advertise openings...oy!
So the rest of us and the kids just suffer in silence....interesting choice of words for a specialty for communication impairment....
Too much work to be done...not a lot of ummpph to do it.

1 comment:

mainely stitching said...

Well maybe you can hear me clapping for your from way over here in Holland. 'Cause I certainly admire what you're doing, and have done.

I've been distressed about the teaching situation since I was a student, and motivated by some of the very excellent teachers I was lucky enough to have. A few years ago, I gave up my reasonably well-paying job in software to become a teacher ... and got into a terrible situation with an administration that didn't care, other teachers who weren't supportive ... and these kids! Some of them wanted so badly to learn, to be heard ...

I have nothing but ENORMOUS respect for you!!!!