Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Busy week

This week has been quite busy, so no stitching, quilting or anything fun. It has however been productive. In February, I signed up for the second "leg" of required course for certification for P.R.O.M.P.T., which is a specialized, dynamic type of speech therapy. The third part will be a 4 month project requiring video taping and extreme scrutiny from master clinicians. For three days we discussed jaw stability, lip rounding and the like. It is a wonderful type of therapy and I really believe in it efficacy. I just don't see that many children any more since I became a supervisor. This means I have less time to practice and what is needed is practice. Perhaps I need to advertise for clients for the summer so I can pick up a few more for practice.

My friend, Karen, who lost her husband last Monday had also signed up. Imagine my surprise when she actually attended. I cannot fathom personally sitting in the class for three days as I grieved my husband. She is, in her words, very pragmatic and went ahead and attended. PROMPT is one of those things is that is so different from what you have learned before and really requires a paradigm shift in thinking, so attending while you are thinking straight is challenging. Coming home from the all day classes means that you are essentially brain dead and can't do much else. Karen attended and even seemed to process the information. Hats off to her for her resolve and strength. Please continue to keep her in your prayers, as she has many hurdles to overcome.

Now, back to reality and the job. Too many things to do. A therapist with chronic bipolar issues is once again absent. This means that in my position I find a sub to come in and do her job. Since there is a national crisis and extreme shortage of speech pathologists, this is never possible. I usually end up spending 3 days a week doing her job and trying to keep things afloat. This is absolutely crazy as my job is far more than full time as it is. I have several children to assess this month and since I am the PROMPT trained speech pathologist, I must do the assessment. This morning, all I really want to do, is pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep. The last 2 times I had to do this, my health really suffered and I developed eczema. And of course, all this for all the same money! Only 3 more years and I can retire early! Then it is private practice for me.

1 comment:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Amazing that your friend attended. My hat is off to her also. My family is keeping her in our prayers.
Hope your work goes smoothly, I know its terrible to be stressed about a job. Hang in there!